People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others and Resolve Conflicts
- Book Author: Robert Bolton
- Categories: Communication, Self Help, Personal Growth, Social Psychology
- Book Publisher: Touchstone
- Publication Date: 1986
- ISBN: 9780671622480
A wall of silent resentment shuts you off from someone you love…You listen to an argument in which neither party seems to hear the other…Your mind drifts to other matters when people talk to you…
People Skills is a communication-skills handbook that can help you eliminate these and other communication problems. Author Robert Bolton describes the twelve most common communication barriers, showing how these “roadblocks” damage relationships by increasing defensiveness, aggressiveness, or dependency. He explains how to acquire the ability to listen, assert yourself, resolve conflicts, and work out problems with others. These are skills that will help you communicate calmly, even in stressful emotionally charged situations.
People Skills will show you:
– How to get your needs met using simple assertion techniques
– How body language often speaks louder than words
– How to use silence as a valuable communication tool
– How to de-escalate family disputes, lovers’ quarrels, and other heated arguments
Both thought-provoking and practical, People Skillsis filled with workable ideas that you can use to improve your communication in meaningful ways, every day.